Sunday, May 9, 2010

Why I'm a WINO

Yes. I am a Wino.

I love wine. Ask anyone & I'm that girl ordering wine at bars, bring wine to parties, slapping the goon over a keg, and of course totally up with wine. It's delicious, interesting, and brings drinking alcohol to a whole new level. Yes, I'm weird. I'm only 23 and I've already practically given up beer, rarely drink hard alcohol, and have a wine addiction. How did this happen? Well I'd like to start be blaming my college roommate freshman year. She would always have bottles of white Zinfandel in our dorm room and naturally as a inexperienced freshman, the cheap, sweet, wine was lovable & quite enjoyable. The next phase was going abroad to Australia. One of the best wine countries around, they have cheap cheap wine at a very nice quality. The other alcohol there? Pricey. Wine became my go to. I learned the Aussie ways, slapped the goon, took a wine class, researched Yellowtail, and consumed bottles of fine vino as I enjoyed the Aussie culture. Then, I turned 21 my mom & became my mom's pet, as she enjoyed having a someone to share her love of wine with. From there, it went downhill...wine became my vodka and replaced whatever alcohol I once drank. Friends made fun of me, people judged me, and I know certain bartenders in my college town did not understand it. I love wine. Going to school at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo only increased my obsession. Wine country. As a beach lover and born & raised San Diegian, I had never imagined a more scenic area than living near the ocean. Then I began traveling wine country, seeking the vineyards, tasting the wine, and roaming the green hills. It's beautiful. As I tasted and listened and learned I wanted to learn more. I began reading books, searching online, and researching wine. It's intriguing. All the thought and effort that goes into a simple bottle of wine is fascinating. From growing grapes, to soil, to non oak or oak, and climate varietals...it's like a giant puzzle with endless missing pieces that just keeps growing. It's much more complicated than your typical vodka, rum, whiskey, or beer. And BETTER!

After I graduated Cal Poly, I took the WSET wine course and increased my knowledge and wino mentality. I now volunteer and attend wine events regularly. I cook and work on pairing fine wine with food. I love it. This blog is dedicated to everyone who wants to learn more about wine, understand why I drink it, or maybe wants to learn a thing or two about Vino. I'm no pro, elite, or wine guru. I'm a normal 23 year old trying to make a career, be happy, and live life to the fullest, doing things I love. Enjoy my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment